This last week was English paper piecing week at Handstitched Class. I hemmed and hawed which fabrics to use and how to lay them out for days. I finally settled on some choices and had basted all the shapes together and arranged them to see how the Storm at Sea block would turn out.
I hated it. It seemed to be too busy with the patchwork (which I was totally digging). I also couldn't get the right mix of fabrics with what I had on hand and as much as I like a fabric store adventure, I really wanted to be sewing.
So I put it off day after day until I ran out of days. Then I did what I should have done all along. A different block. One that I liked. That worked with what I had. (Insert palm to forehead and a big duh).
I really like the simplicity of this block. I think it will look nice with the on point squares in the next round. And since I have embroidery on a linen background and plan on using linen for the large hand quilting round, I think it will be nice to also accent those corner blocks with some nice hand quilting as well.
And I even got to work on a hexie project with all the spare time this left me! (Reveal coming soon, promise!)